My name is Sam LaRue Gerdes (’08) and I’m thrilled to introduce myself to you as the new President of the Alpha Phi House Corporation Board. I’m looking forward to working with you all, and serving the Board this year. I’ve got some big shoes to fill following both Jennifer Kinman and Karen Farabee’s many accomplishments in their presidencies! They each led the board through numerous renovations summer after summer since 2008, which has made our home at 2005 University Avenue truly look amazing. I’m lucky to have been a witness to each of these strong leaders as they both have taught me so much. I look forward to continuing their legacy by making Alpha Phi the most beautiful sorority house on campus.
We couldn’t do it without our supportive alumni though – YOU are the key to our success! And we’ve got some amazing new opportunities to help.
As of February 25th, we have successfully raised $3,995 of our $30,000 goal. This could not have been done without your help! Moving forward with renovations this year, we have some incredible projects planned that we will share with you through our blog and social media accounts as the summer approaches. Additionally, there are some new and exciting ways for you to donate, as every little bit helps! Please visit our giving page to see how you too can get involved.
This year on the alumni blog we will be introducing one house corporation board member each month so you can get to know us a little bit better from our answers to the following fun questions:
- Favorite Book: “Roses” by Leila Meacham
- Favorite Movie: Forest Gump
- Biggest Fear: Getting stuck in an elevator or a tunnel!
- If you could travel anywhere: I love to travel (especially with my Alpha Phi sisters – check out my throwback picture from a girl’s trip to Steamboat in January 2009)! My husband and I recently traveled to Europe with his brother and wife, my grandmother, and several aunts and uncles…it was incredible! We are hoping to travel to Thailand next.
- Favorite Food: Chips & Queso
- Favorite Candy: Kit Kats
- Waffles or Pancakes: French Toast
- Cats or Dogs: Dogs…but we also have a farm cat named Graham that came with our house.
- Skittles or M&Ms: Peanut M&Ms
- Favorite Memory of 2005 University: The ice storm during the first week of school of spring semester in 2007 – We had so much fun being “stuck” in the house during the snow days off from school and sliding around on the ice on University Avenue! I also loved cramming onto the couch to binge watch The O.C. in the upstairs TV room between classes with all of my girlfriends.
Thank you again for all of your support. I look forward to representing us all in caring for our Home at 2005 University Avenue!
Sam LaRue Gerdes